Now accepting submissions for 2024 book prize
The John Wesley Dafoe Foundation is once again pleased to receive submissions for its annual Book Prize. The 2024 J.W. Dafoe Book Prize, now valued at $12,000, will be awarded to a publication with a 2023 imprint “. . . for distinguished writing by Canadians, or authors resident in Canada, that contributes to the understanding of Canada, Canadians, and/or Canada’s place in the world.” Co- or multiple authored books are eligible, but not edited books consisting of chapters from many different authors.
A nominal submission fee of $50 per entry is required. To nominate a book(s), publishers and individuals:
- Submit four copies of each book nominated;
- Provide the appropriate submission fee ($50 per title) in cheque form payable to the J.W. Dafoe Foundation;
- Send books and fees to Dr. Andrea Rounce, Honorary Secretary, The J.W. Dafoe Foundation, c/o 20 Dysart Road, Room 442 University College Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M8;
- Meet deadline of Friday December 15, 2023. Please note that late entries for books published in the later months of 2023 will be accepted into early 2024, as long as we are advised that they are coming; and
- Send an email with the publisher’s contact information (name/email/phone number) and the book title(s) being nominated to Dr. Andrea Rounce
- You will be notified when the title(s) submitted have been received.
Formal announcement of the short list will happen in spring 2024, followed by the announcement of the winner. The Prize will be formally awarded to the author(s) at the Annual J.W. Dafoe Book Prize dinner.
Questions about submission eligibility or process can be sent to Dr. Andrea Rounce at andrea(dot)rounce(at)umanitoba(dot)ca